Swimming stars set to feature in new ‘Sharing Success’ series
February 10, 2021
Olympic medallists Rebecca Adlington, Siobhan-Marie O’Connor and James Guy are among a host of swimming stars that will be inspiring the next generation of athletes in Swim England’s new Sharing Success series.
Delivered by Swim England’s Swimming Talent Team, the series will consist of a number of stroke-specific and age-dependent online workshops focusing on the technical, tactical, and physical elements of each stroke.
The workshops will also feature a star-studded line-up of current and former athletes who will share their stories with all attendees.
Swim England’s guest athletes so far include double Olympic gold medallist Adlington, Olympic silver medallists O’Connor and Guy plus Olympic finalist Max Litchfield, World Championships medallist Luke Greenbank, World Championships finalist Anna Hopkin and European Championships silver medallist Tom Deane.
The Sharing Success Series will be available to Category 2 Swim England members for 2021 in each of the following age groups: 10-12, 13-14 and 15-16.
In April, Swim England will look to expand this series to include masters swimmers and further details will be released on this in due course.
Grant Robins, Swim England head of swimming talent, said: “These workshops are a fantastic opportunity for our Category 2 members.
“The talent team has worked hard to put together high-quality content for this series, covering all of the cornerstones of developing performance swimming.
“Our members will not only have the opportunity to listen and learn directly from our talent coaches, but will also get an audience with some of England’s most successful swimmers to date.
“We hope that hearing their stories will inspire the younger generations of up and coming swimmers in this country and help them realise their full potential, even in these unusual and difficult times.”
Richard Blackshaw, Swim England’s national talent officer for swimming, added: “Swimming is a complex sport so we wanted to put together a series of workshops for our athletes that simplify each element of performance into digestible pieces.
“The technical portion will look at elements of the stroke such as body position, turns, breathing and timing, while the tactical portion of the workshops will discuss how to enhance race craft, including developing the perfect race plan.
“We will run through specific land enhancement work for each event, followed by a Q&A with an elite athlete as they share their stories on what has made them so successful.”
All of Swim England’s Category 2 members for 2021 within the three age categories will receive an email inviting them to take part.
Spaces are extremely limited and will operate on a ‘first come, first served’ basis.
Registration for the first workshop on 20 February will open from Wednesday 10 February and close at 12pm on Thursday 18 February. Registration for the remaining workshops will open on 1 March.
The cost of each workshop is £10 per person and the full schedule is below. If you have any queries, please contact Successseries@swimming.org
Saturday 20 February
- 9-11am, Medley, 10-12 age group, with Max Litchfield
Saturday 6 March
- 9-11am, Butterfly, 13-14 age group, with James Guy
- 12-2pm, Butterfly, 15-16 age group, with James Guy
Sunday 7 March
- 9-11am, Sprint and Mid-Distance Freestyle, 13-14 age group, with Tom Deane and Anna Hopkin
- 12-2pm, Sprint and Mid-Distance Freestyle, 15-16 age group, with Tom Deane and Anna Hopkin
Saturday 13 March
- 12-2pm, Backstroke, 13-14 age group, with Luke Greenbank
- 3-5pm, Backstroke, 15-16 age group, with Luke Greenbank
Sunday 14 March
- 9-11am, Breaststroke, 13-14 age group, athlete TBC
- 12-2pm, Breaststroke, 15-16 age group, athlete TBC
Saturday 27 March
- 9-11am, Distance Freestyle, 13-14 age group, with Rebecca Adlington
- 12-2pm, Distance Freestyle, 15-16 age group, with Rebecca Adlington
Sunday 28 March
- 9-11am, Medley, 13-14 age group, with Siobhan-Marie O’Connor
- 12-2pm, Medley, 15-16 age group, with Siobhan-Marie O’Connor